DSBN News: More Previous Next

About Edith Cavell Public School

Edith Cavell Public School opened in 1919 in the neighborhood of Western Hill. The original school contained 8 classrooms, an office for the principal and secretary, a nurse’s room and a full-size gymnasium with a stage. In 1961, a 2-story addition was added with 13 additional classrooms. The school was named after a British nurse who was celebrated for saving the lives of soldiers from both sides of World War 1. Today, the school has a population of 235 students from kindergarten to grade 8 and 24 staff members who serve the school’s diverse communities.